The Huei is derived from Chord’s excellent $4,500 phono stage; the Symphonic. The Huei will sound every bit as good as the Symphonic but the Huei will be significantly easier to use. Huei’s adjustable gain and impedance settings are easily selected using the same front-mounted buttons as those used on the Qutest. Huei accepts both MM and MC cartridges, whereas the Symphonic was MC only. Finally, Huei will sell for one-third the price of the Symphonic!
As Chord Electronics celebrate their 30th anniversary they are proudly launching the Huei phono preamp, offering MM/MC compatibility, integrating turntables to amplifiers with unrivaled clarity and musicality. Designed and built in the UK, the Huei does not disappoint. Chord continues to deliver the exceptionally high standards of turntable amplification that we have come to expect from them over the past 30 years.
The Huei’s dual moving magnet and moving coil functionality gives a wide range of compatibility and cartridges. The gain switches can be accessed easily on the front panel which allows for a greater level of flexibility. There is a real feeling of control with the Huei, as you have a number of impedance-matching, switchable gain, and switchable rumble filters options. This phono preamp is the first Chord offering to provide an ultra-low noise microprocessor as a main feature.
Similar to Chord’s Qutest DAC, the Huei is a machine made from aircraft grade aluminum. With a window on the top giving the user a view of the electronics inside. The multicoloured control buttons that are present in a lot of their devices are also present in the Huei. Giving the user direct control over the impedance settings, rumble filter and the choice between MM/MC cartridges.
In summary, the Huei is a well designed, versatile, high-performance solution for anyone looking to integrate their turntables into their amplification set up.
Chord Huei Features:
- Supported cartridges: Moving magnet and moving coil
- Inputs: 1x Stereo unbalanced RCA input
- 1x Stereo unbalanced RCA output
- 1x Stereo balanced XLR output
Chord Huei Specifications:
- Input Impedance:
- Moving magnet: 47,000Ω
- Moving coil: 100Ω – 3,700Ω, 12-step user selectable
- Gain Range:
- Moving magnet: 21dB – 42dB, 8-step user selectable
- Moving coil: 49dB – 68dB, 8-step user selectable
- Input Noise: 1.1nV/Hz
- Max Output Voltage RMS: 20v RMS
- Equalisation Response: RIAA Curve
- Equalisation Accuracy: +/- 0.1dB
- Frequency Response: RIAA Curve = 12Hz to 25kHz
- Rumble Filter: Rausch Slope -24dB per octave below 50Hz
- Output Impedance: 520Ω (resistive)
- Input Power Supply: 12v – 100v to 240v 50/60Hz PSU
- Dimensions: 41mm (H) x 160mm (W), 72mm (D)
- Weight: 657g