The Manley Neo Classic 300B holds a special place in
the heart of TTVJ! This was the main preamp in our high end system and
one of the best headphone amps we have ever had! It has a very clean,
open sound that is easy to listen to yet very detailed and realistic.
You might say it is very organic in its sound and presentation. Highly
recommended as both a preamp and a headphone amp.
Our most esoteric product is THE 300B PREAMPLlFIER.
This is the first and only preamp to feature these classic tubes. We
had been designing the 300B into small power amps for many years and
have always had great respect for the smooth natural sound of this tube.
However, a single 300B provides truly appropriate power and voltage
swing for headphones and makes a remarkable line driver. Here is where
the impedances are not too low and the power requirements are not too
high: ideal for this kind of tube in a single-ended configuration. This
was the genesis of a new preamp.
We combine the historic 300B
with another classic, the large octal based 6SL7GT, for the input stage-
all triodes running in pure Class A operation. To complement this
'retro' feel, we implemented vacuum tube rectification and regulation in
the power supply along with plenty of capacity. We also developed an
additional (and innovative) ripple rejection circuit to filter out power
supply noise making this an incredibly low-noise preamplifier-
especially critical for headphone users.
lovely and rich sounding line-driver is the ALPS audiophile volume
control, gold plated RCA connectors, high purity silver wire, mil-spec
printed circuit boards with extra thick copper and plating, and custom
designed output transformers which we wind right here in our own
magnetics department. It all adds up...
For 2002, we returned
to our classic and elegant "Manley-Blue" pewter grey color and the
chassis was reworked to accommodate a few updates we had in mind.
Whether you use headphones or loudspeakers this preamp will deliver the goods and spoil you for any other preamplifier.
Notes for current version not covered in the manual:
The transformer switch puts the output transformer in or out of
circuit. You HAVE TO have it switched to "IN" to use the headphone
jacks. It is recommended, in the spirit of "less is more", to switch to
"OUT" when using the main line outputs.
The SUB out is a
post-volume control output which can be used to drive a powered
subwoofer unit so that the level of the subwoofer follows the volume
level of the preamplifier.
For an exciting exploration of the 300B experience read the late Dr. Harvy Gizmo's Spiritual Woody!
Features and Specifications
Manley Neo-Classic 300B Preamplifier RC:
- Inputs: 5 stereo pair unbalanced RCA jacks
- Outputs: 2 stereo pairs MAIN out same as SUB out unbalanced RCA jacks
- RECORD output: 1 stereo pair pre-volume control unbalanced RCA jacks
- HEADPHONE Outs: 2 front panel 1/4" headphone jacks
- Optimized headphone impedance switching: 30-400 ohms to 300-4000 ohms
- MUTE: Selecting HEADPHONE operation mutes LlNE outputs
- Output Vacuum Tubes: 2 x 300B Electro-Harmonix
- Input Tubes: 2 x 6SL7GT Electro-Harmonix
- Rectifier Tubes: 2 x 5U4GBEH Electro-Harmonix or 5AR4 China (Do NOT use the Sovtek 5AR4!)
- Regulator Tubes: 2 x OD3 NOS JAN USA
- Gain: factory set at 12 dB at max Volume
- Internal Variable Feedback: 8.5 dB of global NFB is used @ 12 dB of gain, adjustable trim -1.7dB to +1dB
- Noise Floor: typically -70 dB (1 Hz - 100 KHz)
- S/N Ratio: typically 105 dB (A WGT, 20 Hz - 20 KHz)
- Frequency Response: 5 Hz to 50 KHz 1dB
- Channel-to-Channel Separation (L to R): @1KHz 48 dB; @10KHz 35 dB; @20KHz 34 dB
- Channel-to-Channel Separation (R to L): @1KHz 50 dB; @10KHz 40 dB; @20KHz 37 dB
- THD: 0.08 % @ 1KHz at 1V rms out
- Distortion THD+N: -80 dB (.01 %) zero "crossover" distortion, mostly 2nd harmonic
- Input Sensitivity: 250mV (-9.8dBu) yields 1V out
- Input Impedance: 100 Kohm Noble volume control
- Maximum Input Level: 5.5dBu or 1.459 Vrms @ 1KHz, volume control at maximum
- Output Impedance (LINE STAGE): 100 ohms
- Maximum Output Level: 17.2dBu or 5.636 Vrms @ 1KHz, volume control at maximum
- Output Power (100 ohm Headphones): 1W (10 V RMS) (28 V P-P)
- Output Power (600 ohm Headphones): 1W( 25 V RMS) (70 V P-P)
- Power Consumption: 170 Watts (1.4 A @ 120VAC)
- Operating Mains Voltage: Factory set for 100V, 120V or 220-240VAC operation for original destination country's mains voltage.
- Operating Mains Voltage: changeable with power transformer re-wiring and fuse value change.
- Mains Voltage Frequency: 50~ 60Hz
- Dimensions: W=19". L=13". H=3 1/2"
- Shipping Weight: 28 Ibs.