The VPI HR-X also known as the Hot Rod, has been our top demo turntable for quite a while. It has performed perfectly for years - and that includes some long hard hours under the thumb of this vinyl junkie. We have used a number of cartridges with the HRX and like the Lyra Etna best with it. The HRX is everything we want in a turntable and remains our table of choice. It just makes music sound like music! In short the HRX is first rate and does everything a high end turntable should. It looks great, sounds great and is as durable a table as there is. We LOVE the HR-X!
The HR-X is known to reviewers and manufacturers around the world for it's natural reproduction of scale and sweep, which are two of the things that make us feel like we are listening to live music. With world class detail, low noise, pace, and timing, the HR-X will bring the concert hall into your home. Best of all, it does this without fiddling, tweaking, or constant resetting. The HR-X is a statement among belt drive turntables! The drive system and the periphery clamp result in wow, flutter, and rumble that are all below measurability providing world class sound.
- The HR-X features a triple laminated chassis (Acrylic-Aluminum-Acrylic) that is heavy, rigid, critically damped, and perfect in its mechanical execution. Each layer is machined separately and then assembled with screws and glue and then combined with the corner assemblies to give a rigid perfectly aligned system.
- A periphery ring clamp centered by the platter, not the record, providing vacuum-like hold down without the problems inherent in a vacuum system.
- Stainless steel HR-X center weight.
- The 40 pound separate machined drive system uses two low-powered 24-pole 300 RPM AC synchronous motors driving a 12-pound flywheel. The drive unit is machined from a solid block of aluminum, its accuracy is assured by using only one piece, giving the lowest possible wow and flutter from a belt drive.
- The flywheel spins at 300 RPM and has 62 times the inertia of a 25 pound platter.
- The platter is machined from a block of 6061 aluminum and runs on an inverted bearing.
- The combination of flywheel drive system, inverted bearing, and accuracy of machining leads to extremely low levels of wow, flutter, rumble, and FM distortion.
- The isolation system built into the feet allow it to be placed very close to 4 -15” woofers with no noticeable effect as long as the stand it is on is stable.
- 25" W by 8.5" H by 19" D (turntable). Weight: 115 lbs.
The 12” 3D Tonearm:
- Pivot to spindle: 300 mm
- Effective length: 313.0 mm
Effective mass: 10.5g.
- Overhang: 13mm
- Offset angle: 17.37 degrees
- Average RMS distortion: 0.311%
- Internal wiring: premium Discovery wire, optional Nordost Reference wire.
- New design 3d printed one piece body for the ultimate in resonance control.
- Full length copper shielding tube internally
- Adjustable side weights for finer azimuth settings.
- Built in “Easy lift” finger lift.
- Offset stainless steel counterweight for stability
- Easy setting of VTA/SRA in thousandths of an inch, calibrated and repeatable
- Adjustable anti-skate
The SDS power supply regenerator and frequency synthesizer rounds out the package and provides a pure AC signal to the drive system so you can set both speeds exactly in your own home.